The Perito Moreno glacier is by far the coolest thing I have seen so far. It's massive. Unfathomably large. Truly too big to conceive of.
According to Wikipedia:
Surface area: 97 square miles
Length: 19 miles
Width: 3 miles
Height above water: 240 feet
Depth below water: 558 feet
People! That means the face of the glacier is 24 stories tall!
It was jagged, ranging in color from blinding white to cool blue in the cracks to a deep blue-green that -- I'm sorry -- was the exact color of a Gusher. There were also cinnamon streaks mixed in, where dirt had been pressed between layers of ice. Sometimes I'd try to look at it like a Jackson Pollack painting, first focusing on all the tan tips, then the darkest of the shadow blues, then the faintest blues. Everytime I looked at it I saw something new.
Every so often a huge chunk of ice would calve off and crash into the lake below, followed by a thunderous crack. The smaller pieces of ice made even louder cracks, like rifle fire. Oddly, there was about a one-second lag between when the ice hit the water and when you could hear the impact.
I have a weakness for taking pictures of gratuitous signage:
Caitlin and I spent a good five hours staring at the glacier. We went in the afternoon, when there are fewer people, and for a while we had an entire viewpoint balcony to ourselves. As we were sitting there, enjoying the silent beauty of the glacier and waiting for the next crash, I found myself wishing that I had a rocket-propelled grenade launcher. I mean, how cool would it be to fire a grenade into the base of the glacier and watch a Dexter-Horton sized mass of ice blow off in slow motion, the creak turning into a wail as the chunk accelerated toward the lake in an enormous spray of water and ice? Made me think of that Onion article, ''Dinosaurs Sadly Extinct Before Invention of Bazooka.''
Fly Fishing Magdalena Bay
-
There are still places in Baja that are wild, uncrowded and far from the
madding crowd, but they are difficult to access and require self reliance.
Seclud...
6 years ago
It reminds me of when I looked at this in the mirror: (__o__)
ReplyDeleteReminds me of the time I ate a slice of pizza...
ReplyDeleteTrina,
ReplyDeleteTruly one of the wonders of the world; so glad you got to see it, Great panorama shot. I too wished a mammoth section would have calved off, but I didn't think about a bazooka or an RPG. "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
Dad
It also reminds me of the time I went to the waterslides, and this 60 year old man went down so fast...
ReplyDelete