Tuesday, January 26, 2010

El Malleo

In between fishing the Chimehuin and the Collon Cura, we waded a river called the Malleo. It was strikingly beautiful; the gusano hatch hadn’t happened yet, so the willow trees still had their leaves, and the brilliant green of the willows complimented the deep turquoise of the Malleo. The water was as warm as Canton Creek in August. Plus, we lucked out again with the sun, and temperatures were in the high 70’s.

 
  
  
 

Fishing the Malleo is more technical than fishing the Chimehuin. Somehow the fish are more discriminating, so you have to cast and mend just right. Fortunately, half the time I am an expert angler, so I caught several fishies.

On one occasion, I pulled a nice brown out of a riffle and Dad caught it on video. Tragically, I can't figure out how to upload said video, so check back later.

On another occasion, Pablo told me exactly how and where to cast, and I managed to execute, landing a fat rainbow:

 
 

Mom and Dad also caught some hogs:

 
 

Here’s all three of us after a great day on the river.

2 comments:

  1. I can see you've mastered the technique of holding the fish way out in front of you during the photo so that it looks thrice as big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't sass me, Boy. Those things are 20+ inches minimum. I don't roll any other way.

    ReplyDelete